2.6

This is in response to another consumer who had shared his/her experience when he/she was sued for late payment. I understand that there are consequences, but I also feel that this matter could've been handled better.

I paid my rent with another checking account while out-of-state for a family emergency and the payment was kicked back (although the funds were available). Since I had to leave town abruptly, I didn't have my usual banking information with me. I was under the impression everything was fine, but came home to legal documents to inform me I was being sued. The bank later informed me that they suspected it was a fraudulent transaction and froze the account.

It's also important to note that the documents were wedged in my door in such a way that someone had opened my door (without permission to enter) to secure the document. I immediately contacted the leasing office and they told me that I had to call the corporate office to make a payment. I was told that I would have to send a certified check overnight to "attempt to avoid additional legal fees". I sent them a $3,800 certified check, which included about $700 in "legal fees".

Perhaps others will be like the anonymous commenter below and extend blame (which was not helpful, by the way). I am more than aware that I should've noticed the credit in my account, etc. I sure as heck pay attention now! However, the point of sharing my own similar experience is to note that there are benefits from renting from human beings (not corporate) who don't sue you for being two weeks late on rent.

I didn't receive one phone call from Avalon. If this sort of thing were to happen with a human landlord, I don't think I would've been so easily accused of being a criminal. If you are considering Avalon Bay, please look elsewhere. They are all about getting people in and hiking up the rent to encourage their tenants to move out.

Oh!

By the way, they will also keep all of your deposit and charge you additional "fees" for painting (even though you didn't paint anything) and you don't have a *** choice cleaning services. Don't bother cleaning your apartment before you leave, you'll still get billed.

Review about: Avalon Communities Apartment Rental.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Maintenance team is excellent.

I didn't like: Petty fees, Rent increses, Entry without permission.

Comments

Did you get out of payment!? I'm having the same exact issue as I'm sure EVERYONE has there. It's their scam to make $ meanwhile taking advantage of the tenant