2.0

My wife and I moved out of an Avalon Community after being there right at a year. They told us that rent was going up an astronomical amount so we decided to leave.

We couldn't find a new place fast enough and were told that to rent our same apartment for a month it would be $4500. Now that we are out they want to charge us upwards of $1300 for "damages". They legally have to repaint the walls and clean the carpets and the deposit should cover that right? Has anyone on here looked into class action lawsuits recently against them?

If not is anyone else wanting to look into it? I am interested to know what others are thinking and what actions have been taken.

Product or Service Mentioned: Avalon Communities Apartment Rental.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

I liked: Amanda domenici.

I didn't like: Extra charges, Deceptiveness in customer care, Petty fees, Recovery office, Asking for private info such as bank account number.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Apr 09.

Comments

I've never heard of any law that requires anyone to paint a wall or clean carpet if it isn't needed for one reason or another ... you are not responsible for what is called "normal wear and tear" so unless you caused actual excessive damage, you are not responsible for what may be deemed ordinary incidental maintenance. They can raise the rent and you can leave, but they can't stick you with a bill under regular circumstances - rather, you are entitled to receive refund of you security deposit unless you intentionally shorted the final month of rent as is commonly practiced.